Tuesday, November 6, 2007

my first time

Today was the first class that I was the teacher....albeit only the Closing Sequence....I've never been excited and anxious about the Closing Sequence of Ashtanga as usually it is the winding down portion of the practice. There was something that came over me though when I was leading the class....it was as if I just stepped out and someone else stepped in and got the job done. I'm trying not to be too self critical at this point because I know I made and will make mistakes. It is inevitable. It is how you learn from the mistakes that is important. I took the first step, though. I dipped my toe in the water....and I thought....it's warm.....I'm jumping in!

On my drive home, I could not wipe the goofy grin off my face...and when I walked in the door.....I just looked at my husband and said, "I just taught my first class. I have to practice." All that nervous energy vanished as I moved through each vinyasa that I just witnessed during class. Watching the intent and hard work, the sweat, the pain, and the surrender is enough to make me a humble student of this amazing practice called Life!

JAI NAMASTE!

1 comment:

MelissaFinelli said...

Jess,
Jessica,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am so happy for you. It is a pleasure to be in the Teacher Training with you. You bring so much to the group. I am looking forward to March. The group should use this space to organize and discuss. I could not be at class today, and will be traveling all week for business. I will see you 17 Nov for Tim. Mary is so excited that she is going to wear glitter body cream. I was thinking of putting sparklers in my pig tails.

Cheers,
Melissa